A Community Growth Project
A Community Growth Project is a coalition effort of neighborhoods, community groups, and volunteers, coordinated through the Alternative Community Resource Program (ACRP), Inc. in partnership with Lift Johnstown and the City of Johnstown, to establish community gardens and green spaces and to clean up and maintain vacant and neglected lots.
A Community Growth Project has three main areas of focus: community gardens, green space/blight clean-up, and homeowner assistance.
This project is made possible through two donor-directed funds at the Community Foundation for the Alleghenies: the Bill Polacek 50th Birthday Bash, sponsored by Lift Johnstown and JARI; and the Community Initiatives Fund, a donor-directed field of interest fund that focuses primarily on community, economic development, education, and conservation.
Click HERE to visit the Facebook page for A Community Growth Project.
A Community Growth Project will establish at least five (5) new community gardens, such as the ones in the photographs below, in neighborhoods around the City of Johnstown.
These gardens will be created with the assistance of Natural Biodivesity and will be maintained by neighborhood groups.
Green Space/Blight Clean-up
Community-wide clean up days will be held in order to remove blight and establish green spaces in vacant or neglected lots around the city.
Confirmed Clean-Up Dates:
- Moxham: Saturday, April 14 from 9 am - 12 pm (meet at Cypress School lot)
- Minersville: Saturday, April 28 from 9 am - 12 pm (meet at PNA parking lot)
- Hornerstown: Saturday, May 5 from 9 am - 12 pm (meet at Eastside Elementary parking lot)
- Oakhurst: Saturday, May 12 from 9 am - 12 pm (meet at Grace Lutheran Church)
- Downtown: Sunday, May 20 from 11 am - 4 pm (meet at Central Park)
- Morrellville: Saturday, June 2 from 9 am - 12 pm (meet at Grace Lutheran Church)
- 8thWard: Monday, June 4 from 9 am - 12 pm (meet at Johnstown Christian Home)
- Prospect: Saturday, June 9 from 9 am - 12 pm (meet at the top of the Prospect viaduct)
- Kernville: Saturday, June 16 from 9 am - 12 pm (meet at Christ Centered Community Church)
A Community Growth Project aims to beautify neighborhood residences through a homeowner assistance program that will provide limited services or supplies to residents who meet specific criteria to improve the appearance of their home and/or property.
Because A Community Growth Project is a community effort, there are multiple ways for groups and individuals to volunteer.
Volunteer opportunities include:
· Construction of community gardens
· Planting of community gardens
· Maintenance of community gardens
· Basic carpentry projects
· Neighborhood clean-up days
· Grass cutting
All neighborhoods in the City of Johnstown are encouraged to get involved with A Community Growth Project.
Individuals and neighborhood groups are encouraged to:
· Tell us where you would like to see a community garden in your neighborhood.
· Tell us which lots or areas in your neighborhood need cleaned-up.
· Tell us which houses in your neighborhood could use some minor exterior repairs.
Please call Jim Buday or Samantha Bischof at (814) 536-6141 to begin a list of properties in your neighborhood you would like to see improved.